6 paneer chunks about 1-1/2 x 1 x 1/2 inch each
1/4 cup oil
1 medium onion, chopped fine
1 tablespoon garlic/ginger paste,or 3 garlic cloves,
mashed 1 piece fresh ginger,
size of walnut,
minced 1 large tomato
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder 1/4 teaspoon turmeric 1/2
teaspoon garam masala 1/4 cup water 3 cups fresh shelled green peas (or substitute 2 packages frozen) 1 tablespoon
cashew nuts, ground to a paste with a bit of water Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Prepare the cheese chunks, and in a wok or heavy skillet fry them in hot oil until golden. Remove with slotted spoon and set aside to drain on a paper towel.
- In the remaining oil sauté the chopped onion until it begins to turn brown. Do not scorch. Add the garlic/ginger paste and bhoona 2 minutes. Add the chopped tomato and bhoona 5 minutes to achieve a thick gravy.
- Add the dry masala and bhoona 3 minutes more. (NOTE: If the sauce is lumpy at this stage, puree it in a blender and continue.)
- Add 1/4 cup water, then stir in the peas. Add the paneer cubes and bhoona 2 minutes.
- Stir in the cashew paste, add salt, pepper.