1 cup plain rice.
1 cup parboiled rice.
1/4 cup white udad dal.
1/2 tsp. methi (fenugreek) seeds
1 /2 tsp soda bi carbonate
1/2 cup curds the batter.
10-12 tsps. ghee or oil as preferred
water for grinding
- Wash the rices and dal together.
- Add plenty of water and methi seeds.
- Allow to soak for 7-8 hours or overnight.
- Rewash the rice by draining the water 2-3 times.
- Grind to a paste. Rawa -like grains should be felt in
- Add soda bicarb and salt and mix well.
- Keep aside in a warm place for 8-10 hours. Beat the curds well.
- Add to the batter, add more water if required.
- The consistency of the batter should be
- enough to thickly coat on a spoon when dipped.
- Heat the iron griddle or non-stick tawa well.
- Pour a spoonful of batter in the centre, spread
- with the back of the spoon to a thin round.
- Pour a tsp. of ghee or oil over it.
- Spread chutney spread over dosa.
- Place a tbsp. masala in the centre.
- Fold into triangle to cover masala.
- Remove with spatula when crisp.
- Serve hot with chutney and/or sambar.
- 2 large onions in vertical slices
- 2 large potatoes boiled and peedled
- 4-5 green chillies
- 1 tbsp. chopped coriander
- 8-10 cashews halved
- 1/2 tsp. each udad dal, cumin & mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric
- salt to taste
- Chop potatoes coarsely. Chop green chillies.
- Heat oil, add cashews and brown lightly.
- Add dal, seeds and splutter.
- Add chillies and onions. Fry till tender.
- Add turmeric, salt, potatoes, coriander.
- Mix well.